R&D Partnership Fund – Connected and Autonomous Vehicle (C/AV) and Smart Mobility
Receive co-investment of up to $1 million toward the development and demonstration of your automotive and smart mobility technology project.
The R&D Partnership Fund - C/AV and Smart Mobility stream supports projects related to the development, testing, validating and demonstration of connected and autonomous vehicle (C/AV) and smart mobility technologies in the following priority areas:
- Mass light vehicles, such as cars, trucks and vans
- Heavy duty vehicles, including commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, recreational vehicles (RVs), and others used for goods movement
- Transportation infrastructure
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Transit-supportive systems and vehicles
For eligible project applicants and partners:
- Commercialization of Ontario-made technologies
- Demonstration of Ontario-made technologies to potential customers
- Relationships with researchers to extend company R&D
- Marketable solutions to current challenges
- Public/private partnerships and collaboration
- Increased road safety
- Better road condition monitoring
- Better collection and analysis of transportation-related information
- Innovative new products and services to reduce driver distraction
- Reduced environmental and carbon footprint
How co-investment works
The R&D Partnership Fund - C/AV and Smart Mobility stream supports approved projects with up to $1,000,000 in funding over a maximum of 24 months. All funds must be matched by a minimum 2:1 contribution from applicants and/or private sector partners.
- Minimum one applicant and a partner (an applicant is an SME defined as having fewer than 500 full-time employees) with a minimum 2:1 contribution match by applicants and/or private sector partners
- Applicants and partners are required to have operations in Ontario and carry out their projects in the province
- Projects last up to 24 months in duration
- This program is not intended to prove feasibility or for basic technology research. Projects should be at Technology Readiness Level 3-9.
- Typical project activities include technology development, demonstration, product/service validation, testing and proof of concept.
- Applicant and Partners should demonstrate close collaboration and scalable outcomes with high potential for commercialization, strong commercial pull, competitive advantage and alignment with intended program benefits.
- Eligible projects MUST include demonstration of actual products that can be showcased in Ontario at events, on the road, and/or at customer sites.
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- National and multinational enterprises (NEs and MNEs)
- Publicly funded post-secondary academic institutions
- Indigenous communities
- Not-for-profit organizations
Projects must be carried out between one SME, the applicant and one partner from the Participants list. Additional partners can also join the project. Publicly funded post-secondary institutions cannot act as Applicants. There is no limit on the number of partners. Partnerships should represent significant potential commercial opportunities for all industry applicants and partners.
How to apply
The R&D Partnership Fund – C/AV stream contains two stages: an expression of interest (EOI) and a full application.
To begin the EOI submission process, please complete a client intake form. An OCI Business Development Manager (BD) will contact you to discuss the opportunity and assist you with developing your EOI.